___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Koh Chang

My first activity was renting a moped for 200 Baht (~$5.50US) to see the whole island. It was so fun and I really wanted to see some waterfalls, but they said the water level was very low during that time. Only the West side of the island was developed, but as I drove around I could see construction of several resorts on the East part of the island. When I drove at night I could see tons of bars and a few were just huge clusters of bars filled with “professional” women entertaining men and waiting for new ones.

My second activity was an elephant trek for a few hours. I debated on whether or not to do this, but then I read the money went to the preservation of these Asian Elephants. Unfortunately I got booked to a different group. The one I wanted was at the very north of the island. If you come here, make sure you don’t do the same mistake.

On my final day I took a boat and went snorkeling around a few different islands. The snorkeling was okay; I thought the southern Thai islands were better and less crowded. When I arrived at one destination I counted just over ten boats, each filled with at least 60 people. That kinda ruined it for me, but I did meet a group of nice travelers from all over and they invited me to dinner.

When I regrouped after cleaning up they all asked me if I knew of a good place to eat. I could only recommend the one local place I went to, it was very small, but they were all up to it. When I arrived the women was so grateful to me for bringing her so much business that she kept thanking me and told me that she would give me more food next time. Music to my ears, too bad I was leaving the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment